As Europe’s biggest brewer, HEINEKEN produces over 200 brands within the EU. After much hard work, we achieved full implementation of this commitment across all our EU brands already by the end of 2017.
- In March 2015 Heineken announced:
- an ambitious commitment taken from the very top level of the organisation to roll out full ingredients and energy labelling by end 2017 across all our brands within the EU.
- The development of a complementary website where consumers could find additional nutrition information on fat, sugars, protein and salt.
- Each national market within our company was given the responsibility for meeting the commitment for the brands for which they are responsible. Our global team monitored implementation closely with reporting milestones every six months.
- One of the biggest challenges was to build websites as it meant dealing with very small brands with no existing on-line presence as well as language issues for products sold in several markets.
- Having reached full implementation for our beers in the EU by end 2017, we extended our commitment to our cider brands and raised our ambition to provide ingredients and nutrition information on pack, online, or both for our brands worldwide by the end of 2018.
- By the end of 2018, 95% of our beer and cider brands in scope had information on pack or online. Brands that were in the process of active recipe reformulation in 2018 had to meet the commitment by Q2 2019.